Lucin, Box Elder County
The railroad tracks running past Lucin; Lucin is the grove of trees in the background
A remnant of the railroad in ther Lucin vicinity; the grove is Lucin
Leftover rubble from a flood control project in 2017
A flock of sheep now making Lucin their home
Part of a tribe of goats living in the Lucin grove
A pool, fed by water from the Pilot Mountain Range, which was used to provide water for steam locomotives
Lucin is a ghost town which existed solely to serve the railroad.
It was founded in 1869, the year the transcontinental railroad was completed, about ten miles north of its current location. In 1903 the Lucin Cutoff was built as a shortcut across the Great Salt Lake. Lucin was moved to its current location and became a supply station for the Central and Southern Pacific railroads. Water stored in ponds supplied water for the steam engines. In 1936 the site was a largely abandoned except by a few former railroad employees and their families. Most were gone by 1972, but a group of former children who grew up in Lucin returned to live their retirement years there. The last of them moved away in the early 1990’s. Very little is left of the town but sheep and goats are kept there now.
Founded: 1869, north of current location, moved to current location in 1903
Location: On the Grouse Creek Road, known as the Pilot Mountain road south of Lucin, 52 mi/84 km north of Wendover, UT and 170 mi/275 km northwest of Salt Lake City, UT
Named For: Lucina subanta (a local fossil)
Altitude: 4478 ft/1365 m
Official Utah Highway Map Coordinates: C-1
Latitude/Longitude: 41.34833333 -113.90500000