Callao, Tooele County
Callao is a lovely oasis in the desert populated by a small number of families as identified on the town “welcome” sign.
According to the historic record, Callao was established as a Pony Express station in 1860 and operated until 1861; however, the “welcome” sign claims its founding as 1857. The first known permanent settlers were the E.W. Tripp family in 1870. Callao was originally named Willow Springs but the name was changed in the 1890’s after Callao, Peru. There is no fuel, food, or lodging available in Callao and no paved roads in or out.
Founded: 1857 or 1860
Named After: Callao, Peru
Location: along the Pony Express Trail in Tooele County, in the west desert between Fish Springs, UT and Gold Hill, UT, 146 mi/237 km west-southwest of Salt Lake City, UT
Altitude: 4337 ft/1322 m
Official Utah Highway Map Coordinates: F-2
Latitude/Longitude: 39.89777778 -113.70861111